Sunday, July 26, 2020

Romans 15 22-33



KJV

Rom 15:22  For which cause also I have been much hindered from coming to you. 

Rom 15:23  But now having no more place in these parts, and having a great desire these many years to come unto you; 

Rom 15:24  Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company. 

Rom 15:25  But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. 

Rom 15:26  For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem. 

Rom 15:27  It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things. 

Rom 15:28  When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain. 

Rom 15:29  And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ. 

Rom 15:30  Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me; 

Rom 15:31  That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints; 

Rom 15:32  That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed. 

Rom 15:33  Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen. 

 

Main Points: As Paul begins to close out his letter, he reveals his plans to come see the church.

 

8. What are Paul’s travel plans? Paul, now in Corinth wants to go to Jerusalem, then stop by Rome while heading to Spain.

9. What situation is Paul talking about in verses 25-28? (2Cor. 8-9) Paul is taking up a collection for the needy saints in Jerusalem. This process took some time and was integrated into his travels. The Macedonians were apparently very generous with the gift they gathered and when Paul wrote 2Cor. he is exhorting the Corinthians to do the same. More specifically he says; “I think you should finish what you started. If you give according to what you have, you will prove that you are as eager to give as you were to think about giving.” He indicates

that they had started the gift collecting and just needed to finish it. Paul uses flattering language about them to encourage this work. “But as ye abound in everything, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all earnestness, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also.”
Paul also indicates that he has been “bragging” on the church at Corinth and that it would be embarrassing if he shows up and the gift isn’t ready. “That's why I am sending Titus and the two others to you. I want you to be ready, just as I promised. This will prove that we were not wrong to brag about you.”

10. What is Paul’s appeal to the Romans? (30-33) – In a word “peace.”

a. Pray for him

b. Deliverance from unbelievers in Jerusalem.

c. His service may be found acceptable to the saints

d. That his meeting with them will be of joy and refreshing.

 

Paul understands that Jerusalem holds danger!
Paul is also concerned that his work may not be found “accepted” or well received. This does not indicate the offering. It stands to reason that a gift would be well received. It likely has more to do with his mission of converting Gentiles and unifying the Jews with the Gentiles.

 

Additional:
Paul explains that he did not want to work in Rome since someone else was responsible for its establishment (a historical unknown). What is even more interesting is his statement “I no longer have any work to do in these provinces.”  (speaking of eastern Asia)
This had to be an interpretation (on his part) to some degree when we consider that the Holy Spirit was his handler. He must have felt confident in the churches, their membership and their elder/deacons.

 

Paul says he plans to go to Spain, however, we have no recorded visit there by him (other than anecdotal). What does that tell us?  A couple of things; Paul was led by the spirit and Paul was also given freedom to choose where he went to a certain degree….or the HS changed His plan (which was unlikely).
Does not the HS have foresight? It is likely that Paul made many of his own plans for travel and occasionally, we find the HS interceding.
Also, we see that geographically, Spain is due west on the Mediterranean coast. He had covered the east, and now he had his sights on the west.

Spain is traditionally attributed to James (John’s brother) for apostle work (Catholic Tradition (lore)).  Circa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Romans 16:17-27

KJV Rom 16:17   Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned...